Saturday 14 April 2012

Ode Warrior!

On Wednesday evening, I went to see Mitch Benn and the Distractions, at the Rondo Theatre, in Bath. It's not the first time I've seen them, and of course I also enjoy hearing Mitch on the The Now Show.The Rondo is a teeny tiny theatre - I believe it seats around 100 people, so even if you're seated at the back, you're still very close to the stage!


I really enjoyed myself. I've seen Mitch several times before, so I had very high expectations, which were more than met! And I persuaded my friend Cheryl to come along, and I think I've converted her, too. Her review is here.

There were lots of new songs, including an excellent song about love (and allergies) written and sung by Kirsty Newton, and another about the Queen Mother's love of Jamaica...

Mitch wrote a song during the interval, (featuring the Titanic memorial cruise, and the extradition of Abu Hamza) which would have been impressive had it been pre-written, and was at least doubly so having been written in the 20 minutes or so of the interval.

I particularly enjoyed Mitch's Eurovision song (here - listen), which reminded me of what Flanders and Swann might have done if they had been allowed to use rude words, and of course, one of my absolute favourites, "I'm Proud of the BBC"

If you find Mr Benn is performing anywhere near you, go see him. And if he isn't, go and listen to the Now Show on Radio 4, and search for him on youtube.

You won't regret it.

(tour dates and stuff here http://www.mitchbenn.com/

[Edited to add: Can't BELIEVE I forget to mention the song about Quantum Mechanics! There was a song about Quantum Mechanics, people!]

No comments: