Monday 9 September 2013

A Grand Day Out

My weekend in London continued with a visit to the Museum of Childhood, mostly on the basis that it was close to m hotel, and looked as if it might be interesting, which it was, although I would have enjoyed it more had there been slightly more information about the exhibits (It's obviously designed to be very child friendly, which is fine, but I'm sure most children come with adults attached, who might appreciate a little more information!

I really liked this model theatre, which made me think of the (Other) Miss Spink and Miss Forcible, and also found the exhibition of children's clothes interesting.

Later in the day I found myself getting off the tube at Monument,  due to  closures on the Northern Line, and decided to go above ground just because I can't recall having ever visited the Monument before; it is right by Pudding Lane, and is a monument memorialising the Great Fire of London. It was designed by Wren,and it is possible to climb up inside and look out over London from the top, so I did.

The Monument is just over 200 feet tall, and there are 311 steps, and it is quite a trek up to the top! It is, however, worth the effort.



There are views out over central London in all directions, and one can play 'spot the landmark' looking for St Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, the Shard, and many others.

When I walked back down again, I sat in Pudding Lane and read a little more about the monument, learning that it was completed in 1677, and that it stands 202 feet tall, and exactly 202 feet from the site, in Pudding Lane, where the fire started.

It made for an interesting early afternoon interlude, before heading out to spend the rest of the afternoon and evening with relations.

The weekend concluded with a lovely party at Mike & Sue's house, with lots of lovely people to chat with, music from the talented Mr Mitch Benn, and some fantastic food. Sadly, I had to leave before the end of the party, due to the need to get back to Paddington to get my train home, and by the time I got home I was absolutely exhausted (I'm not as young as I was, and all these busy days and fun nights out take it out of me:-) )

It was a highly satisfactory weekend.



No comments: