Friday 13 December 2013

Shopping, and No Trains

I had a day off work today (time in lieu having worked a Saturday, recently). I'd planned to have a nice long, lazy lie-in, which would have worked better if I had remembered to turn off my alarm - obviously, I didn't have to get out of bed, but the flailing around trying to find the damn thing and make it stop did break the relaxing mood a little!

I spent some time in the morning wrapping gifts to post, and was planning to then get the train into Bath to finish off my christmas shopping. However, when I got to the station, I found that (contrary to the website which claimed everything was running on time) all the trains were either cancelled or running very, very late. (when "the next train to arrive" is the one which ought to have left an hour and a half ago, it's generally not a good sign. ) I did go in to find out what was going on (just in case it was all about to miraculously improve).

It seemed that there was a points failure just up the line, which meant that instead of the trains going direct (taking around 18 minutes) they were going to go in wrong direction, sneak round and creep up on Bath from the other direction. I don't know how long it would have taken but given that they were also warning that the train was very crowded, I decided that I didn't really need to go to Bath today.

I did go to the post office and posted the parcels I wrapped this  morning, and also went to the local branch of Waterstones and bought some christmas gifts there, although I do have  a few more to get.

the best part of the day, however, is that I still have a whole weekend ahead of me!

No comments: