Friday 11 July 2014

Hedone (because it deserves a post of its own)

Having spent an enjoyable morning admiring art old and new, we made our way to Chiswick, where Nathalie had booked lunch at Hedone, which was recently classed as the 63rd Best Restaurant in the World, and which has been awarded a Michelin Star.


The restaurant is owned and run by chef (and former lawyer and food blogger) Mikael Jonsson.

I have to say, the man can cook.

I am not a food blogger. My review would be pretty much "Oh my god. So good. More please"

So I shall mostly just post pictures, and you must use your imagination. 

We were very restrained. 

We didn't go for the full tasting menu, 'just' the 4 course lunch with wine pairing. Which was wonderful. 

First, there were the amuse bouches. I'm not sure that my bouche was amused, but it was certainly happy. As it was when we were brought bread - simple, but perfect. 


Then the official start of the meal, with slow cooked duck's egg, green peas, girolles and apricot.
Then Liquid Parmesan Ravioli, onion consomme, mild horseradish, smoked guanciale. It's hard to identify a favourite part of this meal, but if I have to, I think it might be the liquid parmesan ravioli. I don't know how you make make such a thing. Black magic, probably.



Did I mention that there was wine, too, with each of these lovely dishes? When we arrived at the main course, Slow cooked leg of Coucou de Rennes chicken, coco de Paimpol, confit tomato, we moved from white, to red wine.  Perhaps that is why we were so easily seduced into adding a cheese course to our  meal?

The cheese was gorgeous - I even enjoyed the Forme d'Ambert, and I don't usually like blue cheese. 
Dessert was Oatmeal Parfait with Cherries and was perhaps the least successful of the dishes, as the cherries were chilled, and their full flavour didn't quite come through. Although it was still delicious.

A truly wonderful meal. (and one eaten in excellent company!)

Mikael Jonsson.
I snoozed in the train all the way home, dreaming of glorious food.

No comments: